Monday, May 24, 2010

The Recharge I needed

Training is in full swing, fundraising is a constant effort and we are making progress. However I started to feel a little worn out, both emotionally and physically. Between training walks I have cross training and running, because I am also working very hard on loosing weight and strength training. There are my 2 kids, my two dogs, the horses, housework and cooking. (sigh) I am just a tad overwhelmed. When I first registered for the 3 day I dove into training and fundraising. I was pumped, excited and fearless. But the more I push myself the worse it gets. My husband and I thought that going to the 3 Day preview expo to get a "recharge" I got more than I bargained for.
When we got their we went to the "Life on the 3 Day" seminar. Which for a 1st time walker is a must! It was an hour long, it was led by walkers that have done this numerous times. We watched a slide show of photos from past walks. We we told how our day and night was going to go on each day of the walk. We learned what goes on at opening and closing ceremonies. What camp was like, what you should and shouldn't pack. After the presentation, there was a question and answer session.

There were other seminars they included "Attack the Pack" "Blister care and prevention" and "Injury Prevention" Because we arrived a little late, we didn't have enough time to participate in the others because we wanted to look around the expo hall. There was a giveaway bag filled with AWESOME stuff from NB and sponsors; Congratulations to Diana Prehn for winning! We did get grab bags of goodies- Snacks, tampons, sun screen, wet wipes and more. I am all about freebies!

They had some tents set up showing how everything would fit and work out. They even had a booth just for tent decorating. There were booths about fundraising, training, breast health and SHOPPING. In Cleveland Achilles and New Balance were there with lots of stuff for sale. New Balance held fittings...the even test the way you walk to see where your pressure points are and help find a shoe best for you. They had great deals and sales. Before we left we took our pictures in front of the Cleveland banner and we got the chance to write letters to each other, to receive at camp. You can even decorate signs for the route. I even wrote a letter to my future self, reminding me of how far I have come and to stop whining about my feet :) Overall it was a lot of fun. I met a lot of great people, and got the motivation boost I desperately needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment