Friday, March 12, 2010

Take action, become a TWL

TWL - Training walk leader. That is just what I became a few days ago. I never had intensions of leading walks, because I don't consider myself much of a "leader" per say. This is how it happened. The sun is shining in Cleveland and the snow is melting, which probably wont last but I am enjoying it while its here. I went to the 3 Day participant center to look up official training walks to attend, because walking alone is boring and I tend to cut my walks short when i'm alone and bored. A friend keeps me motivated and accountable to the mileage I commit to.

I needed to become a training walk leader out of necessity. I don't drive, in fact neither me or my husband drive. We walk everywhere! To the store, to dinner, to the Dr etc. So I was willing to walk to my training walk, but I was bummed out to find that there were no training walks close enough for me to do that. So after talking with my husband I emailed the coaches about becoming a training walk leader. I attended the phone meeting read the handbook and filed out the paperwork. I was actually a little nervous doing this, because you are responsible for finding a good route and the safety of your walkers. There was just so much to consider. So I scheduled my first official 5 mile walk. I have already walked this before so I know where restrooms and water fountains are located. Its on a smooth all purpose trail in a very scenic park. I hope it goes well and the weather holds out. Who knows I may have many more walks coming soon.

Did you know that training walk leaders serve as safety monitors at the actually 3 Day event? It was news to me. I have to say I am honored...I feel like the 5th grader that was chosen to be a crossing guard for the elementary school. Past 3 Day walkers will tell you, they will do just about anything for stickers and pins. So I was super excited to get a bright orange badge and my training walk leader legacy pin. I encourage other walkers to become training walk leaders, whether you lead 1 or 21 walks. You will meet other walkers, share fundraising ideas, and personal stories. You never know who you will meet.

2 comments:

  1. I have been thinking about becoming TWL. AFter reading your post...I think I am going to do just that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you tell me more about what is required during the walk of a safety monitor? I was interested in becoming a TWL, because there aren't any walks in our city, but I want to be able to focus on my team and our journey during the walk itself.

    Thanks! And your blog is adorable.

    ReplyDelete