Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Are you crazy?

60 miles in 3 days, are you crazy? Well I hear that a lot. It can be hard to understand. Why a healthy woman, wife and mother of two, would want to walk 20 miles a day for three days in the middle of summer? The answer is simple. I want my children to live in a world without breast cancer. I want to help find a cure, before I lose another person I love. Breast cancer runs in my family, I need to be around for my kids. I will walk for every life that has been lost to this disease. I will walk for every woman (and man) battling breast cancer right now and I will walk for the people who will get the news that they have breast cancer. Blisters and Fatigue don't require Chemo, SO I WILL WALK. I will walk because I CAN !

Why choose 2010?
For the last few years I have watched the 3-Day commercials on TV, and said "I want to do that." But for one reason or another, never went through with it. For the last few years I have lost close friends and family members to this disease, and still never went through with it. Last year my then 4 year old son saw the walkers pass our house. He came to me and asked what they were doing and then said "Can I wave to them from the driveway?" So my little boy on his own free will stood at the end of the driveway for over an hour and waved to EVERY single walker that passed by, while shouting "good job, keep going" It brought tears to my eyes. We even went to the finish line to congratulate them. This year I made a new year’s resolution to lose weight, get fit and healthy. A personal goal of walking 60 miles helped motivate me to keep going, and not give up. This is a cause that means so much to me. So I asked myself, why not this year? what is stopping you? So this year I am walking and so is my husband. It will be a challenge to raise $4,600. But its nothing compared to the challenge that women battling breast cancer face every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment